# Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Do you have a parent or grandparent that would like to visit Canada? If you do then you should know as of December 1, 2011, Immigration Canada is now offering parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens (permanent residents) the option of getting a Canadian "super visa".

Unlike traditional visas this Canadian super visa is: valid for 2 years; renewable up to a total of 10 years; and allows for multiple entries into Canada. Within this two year period the applicant does not have to apply for a new visa every time they enter Canada!

Who Can Apply for a Super Visa?

To apply for this super visa you:
  • Must be either the grandparent or parent of a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Must be deemed “admissible” to Canada by Visa Officers. Factors such as the following are taken into account:
    • Whether or not you will voluntarily leave when your visit is over
    • Your ties to your country of origin
    • The purpose of your visit
    • Both your financial situation and the related family’s financial situation
    • Political and/or economic stability of your home country
In addition the applicant (i.e. parent or grandparent) must:
  • Obtain and submit a declaration of financial support from their sponsor (child or grandchild) who meets a minimum income level
  • Have proof of insurance from a Canadian insurance carrier for a MINIMUM of 365 days at a minimum of $100,000 of coverage (see Visitors to Canada insurance to apply for the necessary coverage)
  • Also successfully undergo an Immigration Medical Examination
Please note that only parents/grandparents and their spouses (includes common law partners) can apply. Dependants cannot be included when applying for a super visa!

How to Apply for a Super Visa

To apply for a super visa you have to complete and submit an "Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada" [document #IMM5257] to a Canadian visa office. There will be additional documents that will also have to be submitted.

For more information see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa-how.asp.

Please note: you can specifically apply for a multiple-entry visa; you just need to submit the applicable fees when applying.

Have Questions?

If you have any questions then please refer to the following resources below:


UPDATE:  we have added a super visa page to our web site with more information!

RSS 2.0