New Brunswick Medicare: Summary of Benefits
The following information is intended as a brief summary of New Brunswick’s provincial healthcare plan called Medicare.
Medicare is available to permanent New Brunswick residents that reside in the province at least 6 months out of the year.
We offer health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
Health and dental coverage starting from $58.10 per month!
Medicare will pay for the following services that are provided by an insured practitioner:
- Most medical services provided by a physician in a physician’s office or in a hospital.
- Certain dental procedures performed by a dentist when the service is medically required and performed in a hospital (extractions and dental work are not insured when performed in a hospital, however the anesthesia may be covered in some circumstances).
Medical costs incurred while traveling outside Canada that are not pre-approved are not covered. Please consider travel insurance when traveling.
- Standard hospital room/meals.
- Required nursing services.
- Drugs administered while in a hospital.
- Routine surgical supplies administered in a hospital.
- Diagnostic services such as X-rays and other laboratory services.
- Operating room, anesthetic facilities and delivery room services.
- Therapies while in a hospital i.e. physiotherapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy.
New Brunswick Drug Plan
This drug plan is designed for residents who do not have prescription drug coverage via a private health insurance plan.
There are premiums for residents enrolled in the plan, and these premiums are calculated based on your family's annual income.
To be eligible you only need to be covered by Medicare.
The New Brunswick Prescription Drug Plan (NBPDP)
Medicare does not cover prescription drugs; however, there is coverage available for residents who: require assistance paying for their medications, and; meet the eligibility requirements by being in one of the eligibility groups listed (see below).
Valid beneficiary groups are:
- Seniors (age 65 or older).
- Residents of licenced, adult residential facilities.
- Residents with cystic fibrosis (certain treatment drugs are covered).
- Social development clients.
- Special needs children, and children who have been placed in the care of the Ministry of Social Development.
- Residents with multiple sclerosis (certain treatment drugs are covered).
- Recipient of a solid organ or bone marrow transplant (certain anti-rejection drugs are covered).
- Certain human growth hormone drugs.
- Individuals with HIV/AIDS (must be registered by a New Brunswick infectious disease specialist).
- Registered nursing home residents.
New Brunswick Drugs for Rare Diseases Plan
There is prescription drug coverage assistance available to Manitoba residents who have a rare disease.
Click here for a listing of these rare diseases and the medications that are covered.
Costs Not Covered by Medicare
- Ambulance services.
- Annual checkups.
- Routine dental services, including dentures (e.g. examinations, fillings, cleanings and extractions). Note that medically necessary dental procedures MAY be covered if performed by a dentist in an approved hospital.
- Prescription drugs and medicines (unless you are covered by one of the discussed drug plans mentioned above).
- Examinations at the request of a third party.
- Acupuncturists, chiropractors, chiropodists, massage therapists, osteopaths, physiotherapists and psychologists.
- Eye glasses, eye examinations and contact lenses.
- Cosmetic surgeries.
- Artificial insemination.
- Durable medical equipment such as walkers, special crutches, etc.
- Removal of minor skin lesions (e.g. warts).
- Services deemed by the province as "experimental" or part of "applied research".
- Reversal of sterility procedures.
- for full details please visit New Brunswick's Medicare website -
Protect yourself from costs not covered by Medicare. Get free, instant health insurance quotes!
(please consider sharing this article)
Last updated February 2017