Newfoundland and Labrador provide The Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan
(MCP) for residents of the province.
Please use the following as a brief summary of MCP coverage and benefits:
Medical and Hospital Services
Affordable Health & Dental Plans!
health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
Health insurance protection starting at $52.30 per month!
- Toll-free consultation at 1-800-474-4474 -
MCP covers the following health/dental expenses:
- Physician and hospital visits (accommodations and meals).
- Surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures (including
- Medically necessary pre-care and post-care.
- Maternity care.
- Radiology interpretive services.
- Certain surgical/dental procedures that are deemed medically necessary and
performed in a hospital by a dentist/oral surgeon.
- Children's Dental Health Program:
- Available to all children under the age of 13.
- Examination every 6 months.
- Cleaning every 12 months.
- Fluoride treatments every 12 months.
- Some x-rays.
- Extractions and fillings.
- Sealant treatments.
- There are also these other dental programs available:
- Income Support Program Youth: basic dental services for youths aged 13-17 years old who reside in a home that receives Income Support.
- Low Income (Access) Program Youth: basic dental services for youths aged 13-17 years who are enrolled in the Access Plan of the Newfoundland and Labrador Prescription Drug Program (NLPDP).
- Adult Dental Program: covers basic costs of dentures for residents clients enrolled in the Foundation Plan, Access Plan and/or the 65Plus Plan.
The following costs are not covered by MCP:
- Ambulance services: there is a standard $115 fee per ground ambulance trip and
$130 fee for an air ambulance trip. Residents receiving Income Assistance MAY
have this cost covered by the Department of Human Resources, Labour and
- Prescription drugs and vaccines.
- Medical examinations required by a third party.
- Eye examinations as well as glasses and contact lenses.
- Paramedical services e.g. acupuncture, chiropractor, optometrist, osteopath, naturopath, podiatrist
Newfoundland Hospital Insurance Plan
The Newfoundland Hospital Insurance Plan covers:
- Accommodations and meals at standard rate.
- Nursing services.
- Diagnostic procedures, i.e. laboratory, x-rays, nuclear medicine, respiratory
- Drugs, medical and surgical supplies.
- Rehabilitative services, i.e. physiotherapy, audiology, speech therapy,
- Surgical and medical day care procedures.
These services are not covered by the hospital plan:
- Ambulance services except for inter-hospital transfer.
- Procreative treatments and reversal of sterilization.
- Drugs and appliances for use outside of hospital.
- Private duty nursing.
- Services without specific medical indication i.e. x-rays for cosmetic
Financial assistance is provided under the Newfoundland and Labrador
Prescription Drug Plan for residents of the province who are eligible for:
- The Foundation Plan: for all people who are in
- The 65Plus Plan: for seniors who receive OAS and the
- The Access Plan: for individuals/families with low
- The Assurance Plan: for individuals/families
experiencing very high drug costs.
- for full details go to the
Newfoundland government's Medical Care Plan web site
- Protect yourself from expenses not covered by your provincial healthcare. Free, no obligation health insurance quotes here. -
Last updated December 2013