Newfoundland and Labrador provide The Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan
(MCP) for residents of the province.
Please use the following as a brief summary of MCP coverage and benefits:
Affordable Health & Dental Plans!
health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
and dental coverage starting from $56.00 per month!
- Free consultation at 1-800-474-4474 -
Medical and Hospital Services
MCP covers the following health/dental expenses:
- Physician and hospital visits (accommodations and meals).
- Surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures (including
anesthetic supplies and services).
- Medically necessary pre-care and post-care.
- Maternity care.
- Radiology interpretive services.
- Certain surgical/dental procedures that are deemed medically necessary and
performed in a hospital by a dentist/oral surgeon.
- Children's Dental Health Program:
- Available to all children under the age of 13.
- Examination every 6 months.
- Cleaning every 12 months.
- Fluoride treatments every 12 months.
- Some x-rays.
- Extractions and fillings.
- Sealant treatments.
- There are also these other dental programs available:
- Income Support Program Youth: basic dental services for youths aged 13-17 years old who reside in a home that receives Income Support.
- Low Income (Access) Program Youth: basic dental services for youths aged 13-17 years who are enrolled in the Access Plan of the Newfoundland and Labrador Prescription Drug Program (NLPDP).
- Adult Dental Program: covers basic costs of dentures for residents clients enrolled in the Foundation Plan, Access Plan and/or the 65Plus Plan.
The following costs are not covered by MCP:
- Ambulance services: there is a standard $115 fee per ground ambulance trip and
$130 fee for an air ambulance trip. Residents receiving Income Assistance MAY
have this cost covered by the Department of Human Resources, Labour and
- Prescription drugs and vaccines.
- Medical examinations required by a third party.
- Eye examinations as well as glasses and contact lenses.
- Paramedical services e.g. acupuncture, chiropractor, optometrist, osteopath, naturopath, podiatrist
Newfoundland Hospital Insurance Plan
The Newfoundland Hospital Insurance Plan covers:
- Accommodations and meals at standard rate.
- Nursing services.
- Diagnostic procedures, i.e. laboratory, x-rays, nuclear medicine, respiratory
- Drugs, medical and surgical supplies.
- Rehabilitative services, i.e. physiotherapy, audiology, speech therapy,
- Surgical and medical day care procedures.
These services are not covered by the hospital plan:
- Ambulance services except for inter-hospital transfer.
- Procreative treatments and reversal of sterilization.
- Drugs and appliances for use outside of hospital.
- Private duty nursing.
- Services without specific medical indication i.e. x-rays for cosmetic
Financial assistance is provided under the Newfoundland and Labrador
Prescription Drug Plan for residents of the province who are eligible for:
- The Foundation Plan: for all people who are in
- The 65Plus Plan: for seniors who receive OAS and the
- The Access Plan: for individuals/families with low
- The Assurance Plan: for individuals/families
experiencing very high drug costs.
- for full details go to the
Newfoundland government's Medical Care Plan web site
Protect yourself from
costs not covered by MCP. Get free, instant health insurance quotes
(please consider sharing this article)
Last updated March, 2015