The following is a brief summary of Health Insurance BC (the name of the B.C.
provincial health plan) coverage and benefits .
Health Insurance BC administers the provincial health insurance which consists of:
Affordable Health & Dental Plans!
health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
Health insurance protection starting at $59.00 per month!
- Toll-free consultation at 1-800-474-4474 -
- Medical Services Plan (MSP): Enrolment in MSP is
mandatory for all BC residents and their dependents. This is a prepaid health
insurance plan with premiums billed one month in advance. MSP provides medical
and health benefits, and the premiums are determined by family size and income.
- Pharmacare: covers prescription drugs and various
- Fair Pharmacare: provides assistance for
prescription costs; subsidies are based on income as well as other eligibility
Please note that an MSP rate increase went into effect January 1, 2012.
Medical Services Plan
Provides the following health and medical benefits:
- Medical services provided by a physician enrolled with MSP.
- Maternity care (includes midwife services).
- Eye exams that are required medically.
- Diagnostic services including x-rays and/or laboratory services when ordered by
a registered physician, midwife, podiatrist, dental or oral surgeon.
- Some orthodontic services.
- Surgical podiatry.
For those families who need assistance with premiums, Health Insurance BC offers
programs such as:
- Regular Premium Assistance Program: based on annual family income and allowable
- Temporary Premium Assistance Program: short term assistance based on unexpected
BC Pharmacare offers one of the most comprehensive drug programs in Canada,
offering several different drug plans; most of these require active enrolment in
- Fair Pharmacare: subsidy which is based on family net income.
Depending on your income status, a deductible is determined; once that amount has
been met Pharmacare assists with paying eligible drug costs. Lowest income
families are not required to meet a deductible but will immediately assistance.
- Plan B: coverage for permanent residents of licensed
residential care facilities.
- Plan C: for B.C. residents who receive medical
benefits and/or income assistance.
- Plan D: for people who are registered with a
provincial Cystic Fibrosis Clinic and need digestive enzymes.
- Plan F: for children in the At Home Program of the
Ministry of Children and Family Development who would otherwise be reliant on
- Plan G: for individuals of any age who are
registered with a mental health services centre and are in financial and
clinical need of medication.
- B.C. Palliative Care Program: for provincial
residents who wish to have palliative care in their home.
- B.C. Center for Excellence in HIV/AIDS:
anti-retroviral drugs will be covered for those people who are HIV positive and
enrolled with the centre.
- for full details visit the
Health Insurance BC web site -
- Protect yourself from expenses not covered by your provincial healthcare. Free, no obligation health insurance quotes here. -
Last updated June 2012