The following is a brief summary of Health Insurance BC (the name of the B.C.
provincial healthcare plan) coverage and benefits.
Affordable Health & Dental Plans!
health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
and dental coverage starting from $63.10 per month!
- Free consultation at 1-800-474-4474 -
Health Insurance BC administers the provincial health insurance plan which consists of:
- Medical Services Plan (MSP): Enrolment in MSP is
mandatory for all BC residents and their dependents. Premiums are billed one month in advance. MSP provides medical
and health benefits, with premiums determined by family size and income.
- Pharmacare: covers prescription drugs and various
- Fair Pharmacare: most common
Pharmacare plan. Provides assistance for
prescription costs; deductibles are primarily based on income.
Medical Services Plan
Provides payment for the following health and medical benefits:
- Medically required services of physicians and surgeons
- Dental or oral surgery if medically required (must be done in a hospital)
- Routine eye examinations for patients under 19 or older than 64 years old
- Midwife services
- Eye exams that are required medically.
- Diagnostic services (including x-rays and/or laboratory services) when ordered by
a registered physician or supplementary healthcare worker
For those families who need assistance with premiums, Health Insurance BC offers
programs such as:
- Regular Premium Assistance Program: based on annual family income and allowable
MSP deductions. Run by MSP.
- Temporary Premium Assistance Program: short term assistance based on unexpected
financial hardship. Run by the Ministry of Finance.
The Medical Service Plan does not cover:
- Routine dental services (e.g. cleanings, fillings, extractions and exams)
- Restorative dental services
- Physical examinations if not medically necessary
- Cosmetic surgeries
- Routine eye examinations for patients aged 19-64
- Ambulance services (although in-province ambulance transportation is subsidized
thereby decreasing cost to BC residents)
BC Pharmacare offers one of the most comprehensive drug programs in Canada; most of these plans require active
enrolment in MSP.
These drug plans are:
- Fair Pharmacare: the largest plan which is subsidized
and based on family net income. Depending on your income status, a deductible is determined; once that
amount has been met Pharmacare assists with paying eligible drug costs. Lowest income
families are not required to pay a deductible and get immediate assistance.
- Plan B: coverage for permanent residents of licensed
residential care facilities.
- Plan C: for recipients of the BC Income Assistance plan.
- Plan D: for people who are registered with a
provincial Cystic Fibrosis Clinic and in need of digestive enzymes.
- Plan F: for children in the At Home Program of the
Ministry of Children and Family Development who would otherwise be reliant on
- Plan G: for individuals of any age who are
registered with a mental health services centre and are in financial and
clinical need of medication.
- B.C. Palliative Care Drug Program: for provincial
residents who wish to have palliative care in their home.
- Plan S: nicotine replacement therapy plan.
- Plan X: BC Center for Excellence in HIV/AIDS:
anti-retroviral drugs will be covered for those people who are HIV positive and
enrolled with the centre.with the centre.
- for full details visit the
Health Insurance BC web site -
Protect yourself from
costs not covered by Health Insurance BC. Get free, instant health insurance quotes
Last updated December 2013