Alberta’s provincial healthcare plan is referred to as AHCIP, which stands for Alberta Health
Care Insurance Plan.
The following is a summary of AHCIP benefits and coverage.
Note: All residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with
AHCIP in order to qualify for benefits!
Affordable Health & Dental Plans!
health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
Health insurance protection starting at $65.50 per month!
- Toll-free consultation at 1-800-474-4474 -
Generally speaking any service that is deemed medically necessary is covered by AHCIP.
Expenses Covered by AHCIP
- Services deemed medically necessary by a qualified physician (applies to all services listed below)
- Medical examinations
- Standard hospital wards (semi-private and private rooms if medically required)
- Private nursing care
- Eye examinations for seniors (aged 65 and up)
- Laboratory and diagnostic procedures
- Any drugs administered in a hospital
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Transportation from one medical facility to another
- Psychiatrists (they are deemed "medical doctors")
Expenses Not Covered by AHCIP
- Cosmetic surgery
- Prescription drugs obtained outside of a hospital or nursing home (although a new "Drug and Supplementary Health Benefits Program" has been proposed for 2014)
- Eye exams for residents aged 19-64
- Routine dental treatment (e.g. cleanings, fillings and extractions)
- Ambulance transportation (except between medical facilities)
- Glasses and contact lenses
- Paramedical services such as massage therapists, physiotherapists, naturopaths and homeopaths
- Hearing aids
- Medical appliances such as prosthetics and wheelchairs
must register for ACHIP but do not have to pay any premiums.
- for full details go to the
Alberta government's health plan web site
- Protect yourself from expenses not covered by your provincial healthcare. Free, no obligation health insurance quotes here. -
Last updated December 2013