Alberta’s provincial healthcare plan is referred to as AHCIP, which stands for Alberta Health
Care Insurance Plan.
Affordable Health & Dental Plans!
health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
and dental coverage starting from $71.50 per month!
- Free consultation at 1-800-474-4474 -
The following is a summary of AHCIP benefits and coverage.
Note: All residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with
AHCIP in order to qualify for benefits!
Generally speaking any service that is deemed medically necessary is covered by AHCIP.
Expenses Covered by AHCIP
- Services deemed medically necessary by a qualified physician (applies to all services listed below)
- Medical examinations
- Standard hospital wards (semi-private and private rooms if medically required)
- Private nursing care
- Eye examinations for seniors (aged 65 and up)
- Laboratory and diagnostic procedures
- Any drugs administered in a hospital
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Transportation from one medical facility to another
- Psychiatrists (they are deemed "medical doctors")
Expenses Not Covered by AHCIP
- Cosmetic surgery
- Prescription drugs obtained outside of a hospital or nursing home (although a new "Drug and Supplementary Health Benefits Program" has been proposed for 2014)
- Eye exams for residents aged 19-64
- Routine dental treatment (e.g. cleanings, fillings and extractions)
- Ambulance transportation (except between medical facilities)
- Glasses and contact lenses
- Paramedical services such as massage therapists, physiotherapists, naturopaths and homeopaths
- Hearing aids
- Medical appliances such as prosthetics and wheelchairs
must register for ACHIP but do not have to pay any premiums.
- for full details go to the
Alberta government's health plan web site
Protect yourself from
costs not covered by AHCIP. Get free, instant health insurance quotes
(please consider sharing this article)
Last updated March, 2015